Royal Mile is actually 1 mile
and 107 yards in length made up of five
streets that link the Castle at the top
to Holyrood Palace at the bottom.
it's name from the hill leading to the
streets of the Lawnmarket were
a large open-air market place with stalls
selling linen and locally grown farm produce.
Street was originally called " Vai
Regius" which translated means Way
of the King. The High Street was built
by King James VI
until 1856 The Canongate was
an indepentent burough separated from Edinburgh
and the rest of the Royal Mile by the Netherbow
gate and the Old City Wall.
Strand is the small street leading
upto the Palace Gates flanked by the The
Abbey Sanctuary and the Courthouse.
Wynd was where the Royal Coaches,
departing form White Horse Close would
make there way South to London. The journey
would take approximately four days.