plates embedded into the cobbles west of St. Giles in
Parliament Square, marks the site of the Old Tolbooth Prison.
400 year old building was demolished in 1817, having served
as a boothe for collecting tolls, a council chamber, a court
house and squalid prison.
were executed usually by hanging from the gallows on the
site now marked with the Heart
of the Old Tolbooth Prison
Shown in red on this 18th Century Map