('Nether' meaning furthest and 'Port' meaning Gateway)
The Netherbow Port was a large gatehouse between the High
Street and the Canongate.
gates along with the old city wall enclosed the city and
citizens from the Canongate and beyond would have to pay
to gain entry.
Poorer residents within the city couldn't leave as they
couldn't afford to pay to re-enter and so stayed withinin
the walled city their whole lives.
The area inside the Netherbow gate became known as the
World's end because for many residents this was where their
world ended. and a pub in this location is so called The
Gate had impressive towers and the heads of executed prisoners
from the Old
Tolbooth were ofter displayed on the spikes
of the Netherbow Gate to deter would-be criminals.
was demolished in 1764 but is depicted in the sign for
the Netherbow Theatre (above) and brass clobbles on the
road mark the outline of the old gate perimeter.
Cobbles mark the area once occupied by
The Netherbow Port