Law Courts were originally designed by Robert Adam (1728-92),
one of four brothers in a family of architects.
Their father William Adam, designed Hopetoun and helped give the New Town it's
geometrically integrated elegance.
A deficit in available funds meant that the present exteriors were designed to
the specifications of Robert Reid (1776-1856), who designed the northern part
of the New Town.
Although he borrowed heavily from the architectural vocabulary of Adam's, he
never matched his flair.