The designs for this building, authored by John Adams, were accepted in 1753.
The new building would stand on the site of the Provost of Edinburghs mansion
(the place where Mary Queen of Scots would spend her last night).
It had initially been planned to make the City Chambers house several council
halls, a library and covered accomodation for a Merchants
It was only in 1893 that the local authority took sole possession of the site.
The shopping arcade which was added later was replaced by a narrower design iin
1901 and wings were added tastefully to the building in 1934.
Prominent in the courtyard is the statue of Alexander the Great, training his