The Tolbooth was built in 1591,
it was here that the tolls or public dues were collected.
It also served as the council house, courtroom and prison
for the Canongate. Although most of the prisoners were
transferred to a newly built jail on Calton Hill.
large clock face is dated 1820 and replaced an earlier clock
from the 17th Century.
Latin inscription on the front of the building reads:
The place of the seal of the Burgh.
For one's country and one's successors, 1591.
The Tolbooth now houses
The People's Story