called because this literally was the end of most people's world.
just inside the Netherbow gate, poorer residence who
couldn't afford the entrance fee back into the city
stayed there whole lives within the confines of the
area once a Fishmarket, was first known as Swift's
Close after John Swyft in 1427.
Later it was renamed Stanfield's Close after Sir James
Stanfield of Amisfield. His death by drowning was discovered
to be a matter of foul play and his son Philip executed.
he was the guilty party is uncertain given the 'unsafe'
methods employed to extract evidence and confessions,
collectively termed 'the ordeal of blood'.