name here refers to John Gray Burgess; though formerly,
the close was occupied by the Grey Friars.
It was also known as Mint Close because it housed Scotland's Royal Mint
from 1574 till 1877.
The close provided a home to many dignitaries - the eleventh Earl of Buchan,
whose son William Erskine (1750-1823) gained prominence as Lord Chancellor of
Other buildings in the close were owned by the Wedderburns of Gosford, the Earl
of Rosslyn, and the Earls of Hyndford and Selkirk.