after Patrick Chalmers, belt maker and Captain
of the Trained Bands, this was previously known
as Chamber's Close, Dunsyre's Close,
and Boyd's Close, and was once the home
of Lord Jeffrey's grandfather.
The close currently leads to a brass
rubbing centre which sits on the site of Holy Trinity Church, a
gothic masterpiece of the fifteenth century, which was demolished in 1848 to
allow construction of Waverley railway station.