named Johnston's Close in 1564 after William Johnston
(who started the map-making firm W.& A.K.).
wealthy brewer and merchant Samuel Burnett lived here
Lord Auchenleck, father to James Boswell (biographer
to Dr Samuel Johnson), also had a town house here.
first edition of The Scots Magazine was published in
a building in this close (1739) which later burned
down in the great
fire of 1824.