was initially known as Panmure Close,
then became Bassendyne's Close in
1624 after local printer Thomas Bassendyne.
Maule purchased a property at the foot of the close
in 1711, prior to becoming the Earl of Panmure in 1716.
grandson, John Maule of Inverkeilor, became Baron of
the Court of Exchequer in 1748, and his residence here
until 1773 led to the current name of the close.