known as Trotter's Close and Barrie's Close,
it has existed from as early as 1572.
1686, it became known as Fyfe's Close in deference
to Gilbert Fyfe, a merchant and magistrate (or 'bailie'),
who lived here between 1677 and 1686.
Francis Jeffrey (1773-1850), founder of 'The Edinburgh
Review', was schooled here in 1781, and Nathaniel Gow
(1766-1831) taught violin and piano on this site.