ST MARGARET'S CHAPEL
This small chapel, built by King David 1st (1124-53, is the oldest structure
still atanding in the castle today.
was built to commemorate Saint Margaret, King David's mother, who died
in the castle in 1093.
was used by the Royals as a private place of prayer up until the 16th
century when it was used to store gunpowder. It was restored as a chapel
The chapel contains a gospel book peviously owned by St. Margaret. The
beautiful stained glass windows, designed by Douglas Strachan and installed
in 1922, depict St. Andrew, St. Columba, St Margaret and Sir William Wallace.